Construction is underway at Joukahaisenkatu, Turku, Finland. The new campus building brings together the different educational areas of the University and fills the city's urban landscape. We are proud to be involved in this spectacular and large project.
The future complex will become the center of Åbo Akademi campus in Turku, Finland. The new building will complete the city block and connect with Åbo Akademi's School of Business and Bryggman designed library. The complex will include teaching, research, library, lecture and restaurant facilities.THe future vision is also included in a new book by Lars Berggren and Annette Lande 'Väggarna talar, Åbo akademis byggnader under 100 år'.
A complete renovation and extension of a 1980's large school building.
A school concept designed together with TEAM-Maaria.
"The ASA factory building has retained its identity well. Few new openings have been made in the existing exterior walls. The new use and architecture are revealed in the semi-open courtyard. Adjoining the new entrance an airy, light-flooded hall has been built providing access to other parts of the building: the library, auditorium and work facilities. The systematic and efficient, almost oppressive spatial organisation has gained a fresh new look by the addition of the new entrance."
Extract from Olli-Paavo Koponen's review
Photos: Vesa Loikas
The Åbo Akademi Faculty of Arts in Turku has re-located in the city block that was originally an iron factory. The oldest buildings were built in 1856 and the latest in the 1930's. All the existing buildings are protected as historically significant. The building complex is based on the winning entry "Fabrik" for the architectural competition (SAFA) held in 1997.
Renovation and expansion work was realized in four separate parts, first one being the new foundation for its 10 existing and 3 new buildings and the new basement. In the complex all but one building are connected together by glass enclosed ramps and skyways.
The main entry is at the Tehtaankatu street which leads into the courtyard and the main lobby. The main lobby is located in the metal box "masuuni” (blast furnace) building which includes meeting rooms and the auditorium. From the main lobby there are direct connections to faculty offices and the cafe. The library locates in the old metal factory building. The existing large linear spaces function well as the new library. The lowered ceiling was demolished and the beautiful steel structure was exposed. The wide factory building on the Piispankatu side is renovated and the original glass skylight is opened up. In the corner of Piispankatu and Tehtaankatu a new L-shaped building was constructed. Due to architectural clarity in the design, the old and new architecture highlight each other.
Photos: Jussi Tiainen ja Vesa Loikas
Renovation of a 1960's building by architect Veli Paatela.